Friday, February 12, 2010

Lightening round

A variety of events have taken place recently that I have thought I should blog about, but haven't due to time. Since I see this blog as something of a online journal I don't mind other people reading, it seemed appropriate to take a few minutes to record these occurrences. I will try to keep my comments on each one to a few sentences, hence lightening round.

Friday, February 5th, 2010: FIP (Forum for Information Professionals)
I presented my research project at FIP (a conference run by the U of A Library School) last Friday. I was a bit nervous, but I managed my way through without too many trips or bobbles. I am strangely blessed with the ability to not say "um." I would guess around 16 to 20 people attended and I had a number of questions throughout my talk, which seemed to suggest that people were interested in my topic. I may give this presentation again, if I am accepted to CAIS (Canadian Association of Information Systems) in June.

Saturday, February 6th, 2010: Sherlock Holmes
Andrew and I went to see Sherlock Holmes on Saturday. I wasn't sure what the movie would be like from the trailer--it looked souped up with explosions and fights, and I wasn't sure if I would like it. As it turned out, I loved the movie. I thought the plot was interesting, and it was helped along with good actors. What I liked most of all about Sherlock Holmes was the music, composed by Hans Zimmerman. I think I need to get the soundtrack.

Wednesday, February 10th, 2010: Figure Skating
I learned how to do a flying camel spin on Wednesday, and actually managed a few half decent ones (although today's practice was less successful). That means there's only one element (axel) I can't actually do for my next test. I will probably be talking my junior bronze free skate in March, anyway. I'm also having a program choreographed so I can finish off my preliminary free skate test from last year. It's challenging (for me), but it should be fun.

Thursday, February 11th, 2010: Pirates of Penzance
Andrew and I, along with a couple of friends, attended a performance of Pirates of Penzance by the Edmonton Opera Company last night. I've seen it a couple of times before (Stratford Festival, a community theatre group in Calgary), and I played Ruth when I was in grade 7. I enjoyed the show immensely, especially the "faux ballet" with Major General Stanley, which occurred in the second act. Also, the copper ensemble was excellent. I find that in community theatre, the coppers tend to be the weakest part of the show, so it was nice to see them well done.

Friday, February 12th, 2010: Olympic Opening Ceremonies
Andrew and I, and a couple of friends, are going to watch the Olympic opening ceremonies (on television) tonight. I've prepared a main course for us to maow down on while we take in the spectacle. Some Wii-playing may also be a part of the evening.

Go Canada, Go!

Ciao,

Andrea

No comments: