Monday, June 15, 2009

No good titles come to mind...

That's actually how I'm feeling about my poor Nora MS. I can't just call it Nora. True, that is my protagonist's name, and the story is told entirely from her perspective, but what am I suppose to call the second story? Nora 2, More Nora, The continuing life of Nora? I think not. I'll have to keep pondering this conundrum.

Let me recount my weekend, which although not terribly exciting, was the purpose of this post.

Friday:

I got up at the un-earthly time of 5:30 a.m. to take Mandy to the Edmonton International Airport. The only good thing about driving that early in the morning is the minimal traffic. When I returned home, around 7:15 a.m., I finished off the RA hours I chose to neglect on Thursday, which took an hour. I practiced my French, took a shower and attempted to grocery shop. I say, attempted to grocery shop because when I reached the till I discovered I'd forgotten my wallet. Ugh. I returned home sans-groceries and popped on good ole' Pride and Prejudice (BBC 1995) while I sat for a few minute to rest my legs then got to work on the kitchen. I wish I was a more proficient housekeeper, but I'm not. I try to clean the bathroom and vacuum the floors at least once a week. Sometimes that doesn't work out and things get a little gross for my taste. On Friday I washed down all the counters, the cupboard doors, the oven and the floor, plus rearranged some of our storage paces. This took approximately 2 hours. Then I tidied and cleaned the computer desk, and the over-filled and unorganized drawers from the desk in the bedroom. Whew.

Friday night, was more interesting. Andrew and I attended the ESO's final concert for the 2008-2009 season. As mentioned previously, the concert featured the solo violinist James Ehnes and his 1715 Stradivarius violin (well not actually his, it's borrowed from the Fulton Collection). His performance (perhaps not surprising since he has the honour of playing a Strad) was stellar. You might be wondering, could we tell the difference between the sound of the Strad and other violins? Well, no, not really. Probably if we heard a short piece played on the Strad, followed by the same piece played on a second, non-Strad violin the difference would be obvious, but not so much when compared to the entire orchestra. However, the crazy high notes (played well over the finger board) were crystal-clear and gorgeous sounding--not screechy or unpleasant. On the program was: Mendelssohn (A Midsummer Night’s Dream: Overture, Op.21), Chausson (Poème in E-flat Major for Violin, Op.25), Wieniawski (Fantasie on Themes from Gounod’s “Faust”) and one of my favourites, Prokofiev (selections from Romeo and Juliet).

Saturday:

Andrew and I dragged out butts out of bed shortly after 7:30 to go for our Saturday morning long run. We felt since we've run our half marathon and have no current plans to run another this summer we would cut down the distance from about 21 km to about 17 km (our run length is based on time and our run distance is based on the estimation of our km/hr). We returned home shortly before 10:00, scrubbed the grim off our skins (I sweat like the proverbial pig) then headed down to the City Centre mall. Normally we go to the farmers market after our run, but since we're not going to be around much this weekend we skipped it (except for lunch--smokies, on the way home). Andrew needed to purchase some conference appropriate clothing. We wound up at Le Chateau, which used to be my favourite store until I discovered the divine (and expensive) beauty of BCBG. He managed to pick up two nice button down shirts (one white, one green), a tie, a pull over sweater and a blazer.

In the evening Andrew and I finally caught the new Star Trek movie. I balled during the first 10 minutes. It was heart wrenching. Really, you'd have to have a heart of stone not to be moved at least a little. If you've seen the movie, you know what I mean. Otherwise, it was pretty fantastic. Many of the new cast members bare a passing resemblance to the classic actors and it was fun to see how each character popped up and joined the crew of the Enterprise. The plot was interesting too, delving into the motivations behind Spock and Kirk. And it involved time travel. Oh, and Leonard Nemoy reprised his role as Spock (old Spock that is, not young Spock).

Sunday:

Another day that started at 5:30 a.m. This time to take Andrew to the airport so he could head off to New York. Most of the rest of the day was pretty unremarkable (as one might guess from my previous post). I'm looking forward to joining Andrew in New York on Wednesday. It will be really nice to get away for a bit.

Hmmm...I think that's all.

Ciao,

Andrea

No comments: